Monday, March 2, 2009

Happy 20th Birthday

 Pretty dang crazy week here. Everyone in panic mode about the crisis, besides that they are wrapping up some drug wars in the north. Crazy stuff, the drug gangs had been taking over whole cities in the north and even one police chief quit he said it was a decision over life and death. But the arm was sent in and it’s pretty much taken care of.

 A good work week and Friday (my birthday) we had a leaders council of the mission, started at 9 in the morning and ended... at 8 at night and we only got through half of the program! I wouldn’t have time to tell you about the new system we have but the President has an inspired system and the results are breathtaking: even the worst of companionships have just taken off.  In our zone alone we baptized 11 last week and have 19 for sure with baptismal date for this week, which means it could be more. Its so incredible. I don’t even know how to describe the change, but after the council I went to the offices to pick p some materials and there was a nice little package sitting there for me so ya… it came on my birthday! Thank you so much, I love the shirts and cds. I almost peed my pants when I put in one and heard William Joseph... anyway after getting home late I woke up the next morning with the flu and one of the craziest days I've had, baptismal interviews, special interviews, 8 baptisms from one companionship (Elder Roylance, I was in the mtc with him) -So I was running like crazy even though my throat hurt like crazy- and putting a baptismal date with a complete family of four. They are the family Campos, mom dad and two boys of 10 and 8 years old. We found them three weeks ago contacting in a park at 8 in the morning, they had studied with Jehovah witnesses before so had a lot of questions, in our second visit the brother asked me if there is life after death and we taught the plan of salvation.  His next question was  "how can we get baptized?" We hadn’t even taught about baptism before.  They will be baptized this Saturday. 

It’s true that we don’t need to know everything but God gives us just what we need to know.  Now imagine if we wouldn’t have left the house at 8 that one day, we would have probably never found them. Now Sunday after church the members pulled a surprise. They had a little party for my birthday! A lot brought food and cake and we had a good meal and get together. It was so cool.  As Elder Villegas said, "When is the last time they’ve thrown a birthday party for an Elder?" I'm going to really miss the area, the very coolest part was seeing people the I baptized there, eating talking with members and having a good time, I really almost cried seeing that Hector Rodriguez is now a home teacher.  Seeing them pay tithing is something I could never replace. Then I feel sad for those that have already gone inactive... our efforts and the wards efforts are all in vain and I wonder what happened to that spirit when the were baptized and confirmed? At the end of the day we all our agency and we understand that, what we don’t understand sometimes is that other people have their agency. I've really understood what Moroni says when he says charity is suffered; we really suffer when others make wrong decisions because we love them.

 Well I love you all, congrats on the accomplishments, you guys are awesome, pray read and be of faith, the kind that takes you places. 

Love you all,

Elder Solomon

No comments: