Monday, October 12, 2009

50th baptism!

You hope I’m a solid missionary? Hello,… where is the confidence? Count me down as one of the best.;) No but, I’m really giving it my all right now and trying hard. I had a land mark week this week personally in that I have now reached 50 baptisms in my mission. All of them special people with special stories.

The latest two: Irma and her daughter. I’ll tell you about in a second.

Another cool thing. Guess who plays piano in sacrament meeting? That’s right me! I only play right hand cuz I mess up a lot with right hand alone (never mind left hand too!) but its better than nothing.

The iPod don’t worry. Yes I have the old one kept away safe. I have what I need to get the job done. Go ahead and send me a book, I usually read about three at a time but… you know, it’s according to the mood. Sometimes I can’t stand seeing letters and sometimes I like it.

Well, I’ve got a nice story; remember the black Rockport shoes I set out on the mission with? Well about 6 months ago I had the soles rebuilt and this last week the new soles had worn down so much on the outside of the heel that when I walked it pushed the little nails [into my foot] more until… you guessed it. They got to the foot. I walked around a whole day with those dang things sticking in me and at night I took of my socks to find some holes in my heel and some tender skin. Good thing for calluses. So the shoes paid for that and they aren’t getting worn anymore!

We had a cool activity in the zone today. We decided to have the district meeting a bit earlier at 9 am and afterward we all played basketball, football and fried up some carne asada.

Ok, so Irma. The lady that got baptized this week. She is a really quiet lady. Small and dark, from Oaxaca. She has a little girl Irasema, 11, and a baby called Dulce. One day with my comp we were walking down a street and he said, “Hey we taught a lady here once but she saw stuff on the internet and didn’t want anything. Lets see if she’s home.” Well, he doesn’t have that good of a memory so he didn’t remember exactly which apartment it was or what her name was, but on the second try Irma came out and said that she had listened to the missionaries before. She let us in and it turned out that her husband had just died a couple weeks before. We taught her the plan of Salvation and were able to help her a lot that way, in fact I even blessed her house (the first I’ve ever done that). She continued receiving the lessons and surprised us by showing up to church that Sunday all on her own, and she even brought a family member. She accepted the baptismal date with ease and it was a beautiful service (Saturday). On Sunday she was confirmed and her daughter. Then before the talks, the Bishop asked if there were any baby blessings. I don’t know who told her too, but she just stood up and the Bishop blessed her little girl. Irma doesn’t talk a whole lot. The most I’ve ever heard her is when I filled out the new member form. But that little lady lets her acts speak a lot louder than her mouth. She is an incredible example of listening to the Lords voice and responding. She has been and will be blessed for her quiet faithful obedience.

We had the best week. We’ve all had changes in the zone this week. The change is eminent in the missionaries. Their love for the work has changed, they see it (me included) really as the work of the Lord and not just another daily job that a lot seem to see it as. The work is real but has to be seen with the spiritual eye.

Well, love you all portense bien. Take care of each other. Please send my regards to the Larsen family. My prayers will be with them. Do what you can and leave the rest to Him.

-ELDER SOLOMON

No comments: