Thursday, October 8, 2009

Fluent in Chilango

October 6, 2009

Ok well. I didn’t write yesterday because we changed P-day to today so we could go to the temple today. We had a good work day yesterday and I’m grateful for not slacking it that day like a lot of missionaries do. Is Calvin really 8??? I knew about Kayla (I’ve had constant contact with John Reed, good thing he’s getting lost in the mission as well;) the last I heard about Jalin was that she was getting married and that’s what she told me before I left. Someone tell her her good ol buddy hasn’t heard a thing a lot more than a year! I want to know more about missionaries who are out in the field that I never hear about. Justin Kelley, Dayton, Derek, Jon Arnett… I never hear about them I’m sure Rhonda lee keeps everyone within ears reach updated ;) here we replaced the rain with the heat again. It sucks; the heat just drains my energy and even more so climbing hills all day… I’ve been taking showers in the night for the heat and being all sweaty. Oh ya I got the dearelder package a long time ago but that’s the only one. Yes I am fluid but they talk in accents in all parts it’s really different in the North than here. I know how to talk Chilango.

The work has been good to us… in our area. We’ve had baptisms every week the past 3 weeks, the frustrating is that it’s only one every week. What a problem right?! We’ve got a good week lined up as well. The main headache in my life is the zone… the senior zone leader seems to be everyone’s enemy and they just don’t work! We have awesome areas here but all the elders have over a year and they trust that they know how to work and with finding one person they can baptize that month and they are good! But that is such apostasy and when they are told their attitude changes to “ok then I just don’t care, I’m going home soon anyway” what a frustration. A few have opened their eyes but we still need a lot of help.

Yes General Conference. The worst part was I missed the afternoon session and priesthood on Saturday cut I was working. The older I get the more I just love it and suck it up. Probably my favorite talk was the prophet’s talk on Sunday about the acts of kindness. I felt the Spirit really tenderly. Hearing things such as “my grandma was sick and I held her hand” incredible what acts of kindness really are, like he said we can all do something for somebody.” There were many themes I picked up in Conference but the main was Christ like Love and lifting up the fallen hands and strengthening the trembling knees. I believe that may be a remedy to face the economic problems. Forgetting ourselves and serving others, even in the simplest ways. What did you do for someone today? Awesome. I can’t wait to download the talks on the iPod and start the study don’t know if I told you but I’m going for another language, Portuguese. It’s so similar to Spanish that I figured it would be easy. The secretaries ordered me a book of Mormon and I’ve got other ideas. To keep the mind learning and moving…

What else… well I better get going it’s getting late and we’ve got to get to the District meeting. Take care I love you all so much.

-ELDER SOLOMON

No comments: