Monday, February 8, 2010

Buckets

view from my roof top
view of mujera dormida on a not so smoggy day
Guadallupe's baptism
Martin's baptism

Howdy everyone. It’s windy today, and I finally have some stuff to write about. I'll start with the baptism. OK so this lady's name is Guadalupe, we’ve known her for some time, her son lives in the North mission and sent the reference for Guadalupe's other son Juan Carlos. Well she has wanted to get baptized for some time but wanted to get baptized with her son. Well, we got to their house one day and he declared, “ I'm not getting baptized”, so I just said, “Whatever”. In the lesson Guadalupe said, “I'm getting baptized on Sunday”, kind of like just letting us know. Hahaha! Anyway on Sunday I started filling the font, after about an hour I checked it and it looked like someone dumped a quarter ton of Swiss Miss in the font. It was brown. I emptied it and we got on the roof to look at the tanks and they were dirty too. Crap. We called the elders in another chapel about 20 minutes away and they started filling their font.

So we started inviting everyone again and trying to get members to go. But if they wont stay for an extra 30 minutes in their chapel there is no way they are going to a different chapel. So we finally got to the other chapel at about 1 pm just to find out that the font was about a quarter full... so they all waited outside and us and the 2 elders from that chapel took of our coats, opened the cistern outside and started passing bucketfuls through the window and dumping them into the font. After 15 minutes and a good wetdown, we filled it up with relatively clean but freezing water. So we started getting the room ready and the family walked in and a member from the local ward started throwing a hug fit over that we hadn’t planned it out, I wasn’t in the mood and started saying that you cant plan for dirty water and that if he had any problem that he should talk with the ward mission leader who he doesn’t support and some other stuff. Luckily my comp was in that ward a while back and took him outside and talked it through.

I got dressed and we were waiting for the hermana to get dressed and her daughter walked out and said that the dress we bought her didn’t fit... geez laweez. By luck I found one of those overall suit deals and it fit her. We started and when I walking in the water. Freezing. She even said, “Oh my, this is really cold”, so I did the ordinance, (she was one of those flippers who when they go under have no idea which way is up and start kicking and flailing, so you have to just calmly raise them up and hold on till they get it figured out, it was tough cuz she’s a big lady). But some thing amazing happened. When they shut the doors she said "its not cold anymore, I feel warm" it was true; I wasn’t cold anymore either. Later, after we got all changed I commented what had happened, I said "I don’t know if sins heat up water or if it was just the Saviors love we felt". It was a special spiritual experience for me. I also told one brother that I can go home now; I have filled up a baptismal font with buckets.

Other than that until Friday it was raining like crazy, many parts near here are still flooded, luckily here we are in the hills and it cant flood, but it was a depressing few days, but the sun came out as it always does and now I'm back to the short sleeve, its unpredictable here, and not just the weather.

That’s about all I got this week, we are gonna go bowling right now, see if I've still got it, happy valentines day to you all, may the Lord bless you. 143

-ELDER SOLOMON

No comments: