Friday, September 19, 2008

First baptism

Well everyone, things are heating up. This area is finally coming alive. I am with the zone leaders so the Mexican comp (companion) Elder Moreno is usually on splits so I'm with Elder Wilson most of the time. After a week of just contacting like crazy were getting the wheels rolling in this area. We had 11 investigators in church yesterday and I got to baptize three kids16,11,10 yesterday as well. They are a really nice family but one of the poorest in the area.

 

The weather is awesome. Towards the night and early in the morning there is a chill in the air and its nice during the day but because of the altitude a lot of the gringos fry. Lucky i just turned into a tan, which is half way up my neck and looks super goofy. We do a lot of stinking walking and it been taking some getting used to. There are a lot of cool people and then some just stupid people too. There are a lot of punk kids and I almost beat some up that were throwing firecrackers at me at the "guero", but yep there you are.

 

The first week really was a super roller coaster of emotion but as soon as I hit the first week mark things have been really getting better. I hate to brag but I really think I'm getting the language. There is a ton of vocab I don’t know but for the most part I can follow conversation and join in. I feel bad cuz there are a few elders in the zone who have been in the mission for a couple months and they are still struggling...

 

Well things here are super cheap except like Gatorade and McDonalds, the prices are kinda random. We get 800 pesos a month, which is the equivalent of 80 bucks... then a bit for travel money. It works out pretty good till the end of the month apparently. Then there are few days of just sliced bread. Luckily we get meals from the members... there have only been two meals that I've had to really fight down to eat. Nothing bad. Just nothing really good yet. Apparently there are some areas that are great for food and others that are pretty plain.

 

Boys I loved hearing about the football games, I'm so stinkin jealous and hope you guys do awesome. Brighton give it all you got, there is a pretty good chance that this is the last time you’ll wear a helmet like your older brother... oh mom, as part of me coming into the mission solo I really didn’t have any training at all on rules or anything so I'm just learning off the comps. Yes the Mission President is awesome he’s very solid very smart and very rich. He’s trying to get rid of the cell phones from the missionaries who shouldn’t have them. He's following the example of Nephi and the brass plates, asking for them, offering to buy them and then… just going to take them. He’s awesome and doesn’t know English.

 

Well that’s it for now, hope all is well in the home front.

 

Love you all,

Elder Solomon

No comments: