Monday, January 11, 2010

BRRRRRR!!

The newspaper headlines on Sunday read "9 killed by the cold." It ain’t a lie. We’ve had a cold front come through here and its tough. I’ve been in much colder weather, but not lately. It’s been in the low 50s during the day. I leave [home in the morning] with a sweater and a coat. In fact, this last week classes were canceled for "the cold" but they are back in today. The worst part is my feet. They just don’t warm up. On the other side, I love that cold wind on my face! It makes me feel like I’m up at the cabin or something.

Well, changes are here. All last week I was pretty sure I was going. I’ve got 3 changes here and 2 with Elder Roylance. We were doing our brackets" like march madness trying to figure out what all the changes were gonna be. My guess was W was gonna go to Linda Vista where I was born (started the mission). In fact a lot of others [were born there] too. The ZL over there even called and talked to me for a while.

We had a baptism on Saturday. It was a family we found knocking doors and they are sweet, they have their problems like all do but are good people. The family Esquivel, the mom, Hortencia, and her kids, Armando 23, Sandra 22, and Daisy 20. It was funny while we were filling the font all the windows and doors fogged up on that side of the chapel. It was really cold and rainy outside but nice and toasty on the inside from the hot water. [It was] a hectic baptism but it did happen and they were also confirmed on Sunday. The Bishop asked us to speak in sacrament meeting, (as always I was last, that always happens) and in my talk I talked about love and taking care of recent converts (since I’ve got 33 here...) and I mentioned that I might be leaving. Well, everyone took that as a farewell, some sisters cried, blah blah blah. I was feeling a bit sad to leave and Roylance was super happy to stay. Well, then came the night and we waited until 10:30 for the assistant to call me. You guessed it, the irony of God kicked in and I’m staying and Roylance is leaving! And they are taking the other two [Elders] out of our ward... the only one who thought he was going is the only one staying... Well, it was a hard night. Roylance was crying I think, I don’t know. I told the changes to my DLs and threw the covers over my head not talking to anyone even though quite a few called me. But couldn’t sleep until 1:30... Well, I woke up earlier than usual for a p-day, took a shower and got ready and went up on the roof. (All the houses here have flat roofs where they hang their clothes up to dry and have the gas and water tanks, etc.) Up there it is a beautiful view and [I] worked things out and even came up with some new plans for the zone this change. I’m still not excited about facing the whole ward and the stupid obvious question, "weren’t you leaving?" Even though I’m there, they will still ask, ----. But its ok. There is a lot of work and there will be success this change for sure. My new companions name is Elder Mendoza. He’s from our generation but I really don’t know anything bout him. We’ll make the best of it.

Well, I missed your letter from this week I guess. John Reed told me news that Aaron Dees is engaged for May 14, the day I complete 2 years and I come home the 17th! Someone tell him to postpone one week pls. It’ll be gay he'll just wanna be with his wife the whole time and not want to hang out with the guys... gay. O.K., I’m out. Go Cards! They are still in the playoffs. keep on moving so the cold doesn’t get to you.

Love you all, send a prayer or two my way for the new change, I’ll need them.

-ELDER SOLOMON

No comments: