Monday, January 25, 2010

Trust

Hey there, London England? Well, there is some important stuff to do there for Brighton. There aren’t any coincidences. Know that the call is from the Lord. Wow, I’m excited for ya!!! You’re are about to embark on the greatest adventure of your life so far and to a certain degree will determine much of who you will be for the rest of your life. Now this time is hard; prepare well, get in the temple as soon as they let you and protect yourself well from all evil influences. In a way you are on hold but not inactive, still participate in activities, church stuff etc. and most importantly with your family because that will become (in 4 months) a huge hole. It was incredible for me to have an incredible memory of a week long trip to Hawaii to lean on. Think about what you wan to do in that week we have together, I suggest a temple tour to Utah and California, that’s what I would like more than anything, imagine, Manti, St. George, Logan, Salt Lake, LA, San Diego. Wow!

Ok, so the work moves on and wont stop!! Things are good here in Molinito, we are looking at a few baptisms, this next week and still recovering from some crazy experiences last week, one of them being me leaving the keys in the house. I called the landlord at 9pm and he said that he could only come in the morning so we spent the night at some members house, and me having to do a special interview on Sunday (everyone who gets baptized has to receive a baptismal interview). And if a person has commited a crime, had an abortion, or a homosexual relationship they have to get a special interview, usually done by the Mission President. Well, he was about 3 hours away, and we couldn’t find a Bishop so he said “Well, you do it Elder”. Thanks! It was definitely a learning experience for me and some Bishop training! It was incredible and I learned a lot about repentance. She had made a lot of bad decisions in her life and was feeling super bad about it all. I wanted to console her but was held back from doing so and led to the scripture in Corinthians. I don’t remember how it goes in English, but talks about Godly sorrow which works for salvation. I explained that she has to feel those feelings for repentance to really work, but its nothing to be ashamed about. Found it, 1 Cor. 7:9-11:

9 Now I rejoice, not that ye were made sorry, but that ye sorrowed to repentance: for ye were made sorry after a godly manner, that ye might receive damage by us in nothing.

10 For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.

11 For behold this selfsame thing, that ye sorrowed after a godly sort, what carefulness it wrought in you, yea, what clearing of yourselves, yea, what indignation, yea, what fear, yea, what vehement desire, yea, what zeal, yea, what revenge! In all things ye have approved yourselves to be clear in this matter.

It took her a while to believe it and soak it in, I read it three times and sat in silence for a while, after a few things I offered a prayer on our knees. When she got baptized, the tearstained face left with a smile, I’m so thankful for being able to be a part of that and that awesome experience.

Last thing I want to comment on and is this scripture: Alma 38:5.

5 And now my son, Shiblon, I would that ye should remember, that as much as ye shall put your trust in God even so much ye shall be delivered out of your trials, and your troubles, and your afflictions, and ye shall be lifted up at the last day.

I’ve had this one on my mind ever since I studied it some months ago. Here I see a direct proportion between trust in ´God and deliverance or freedom. Its incredible, the more we out our trust in God the more free we really are (talking about temporal and spiritual matters). Alma had to have pondered much on his father’s experience. I imagine he was boy when they lived in the city of Helam and were prisoners of the Lamanites. He must have witnessed how the heavy loads became lighter and they could deal with all they were going trough and eventually they were delivered and arrived at Zarahemla. He had to have pondered on that and the experiences he had as a missionary in Ammoniah when he and Amulek were trapped in the jail and after so much suffering they went through they were delivered through the power of God. He also was very familiar with experiences of his companions, the sons of Mosiah, on their 14 year mission to the Lamanites. Also, when his life was spared in battle when he cried out to the Lord “ preserve my life so that I may still be an instrument in thy hands”, which he was. Anyway he knew this principle very well, I am learning it and am very sure will learn it more first hand as the trials of college life and the rest are right around the corner for me. Those who trust in the Lord love him and follow him are the true “freemen”. Satan would have us think that the way of the Lord is restrictive but it just isn’t that way. Going through a hard time? Trust in the Lord, do your best and you will be delivered sooner or later just remember this equation.

Trust in the Lord = Freedom

I love you all. Have a great week,

-ELDER SOLOMON

No comments: